Why breakfast is so important?

Wednesday, July 8, 2009



During my school days I would say I have never skipped breakfast but now I’m at the university, I tend to skip breakfast easily. I usually wake up late and I’m rushing to get ready for my classes thus I don’t have time to eat breakfast. I guess it’s one of the reasons why I’m always sleepy during lectures not to mention I easily lose my concentration too. Hahaa…Even when I’m home during my holiday I don’t take breakfast. I’m just too lazy to go downstairs and I’ll eat more during lunchtime. I know it’s important for us to take breakfast but I don’t really care much about that since I don’t really know how important that is important. However I read an article about the importance of breakfast and suddenly I think I’m going to take a breakfast everyday from now onwards. Ohh it’s a total lie. But I will try to make it a habit. Yeah..I will..I definitely will..Well I think if you’re not working or studying at the moment it is considerably fine for skipping your breakfast. But if you’re working and studying there’s no greater truth than breakfast being the most important meal of the day, it’s for everyone actually. Haha..

Okay..Here’s what the article says:

People who eat breakfast are more likely to have better concentration, problem-solving skills and eye hand coordination. Besides it provides you with energy you need to warm up and get your energies running and your mind functioning well for the entire day. In other word, it actually activates your brain. Skipping the morning meal means depriving your body of calcium. Calcium is essential for your body! It is a nutrient that keeps your blood pressure low, prevents colon cancer, eases the symptoms of PMS, fortifies your bone density and etc. Breakfast is very important for both physical and mental health. People who eat breakfast are more likely to:

• Have better concentration and be more productive throughout the morning ~ due to replenishing glucose, the brain’s main energy source.

• Control weight ~ there are several theories behind the association between eating breakfast and controlling weight. Researchers speculate that eating breakfast may reduce hunger later in the day, or that it may cause eaters to choose less-dense foods at later meals. Eating breakfast regularly may simply be an indicator of someone who adopts a low-calorie, low-fat diet.

• Have more strength and endurance ~ You’ll have higher energy levels and you’re much stronger to engage yourself in physical activity.

• Have lower cholesterol, which reduces the risk of heart disease ~ Research has shown that people who eat breakfast consume less dietary cholesterol than people who don't eat breakfast.


If weight is your concern (you’re on diet), I think it’s better for you not to skip your breakfast but you can skip your lunch. When you’re already eat breakfast (a healthy one!) you’ll not feel as hungry as when you’re not taking your breakfast. Therefore you can totally skip your lunch or grab less food for your lunch. As for working people and students no matter how late or how lazy you are, be sure to at least drink a hot beverage with high calcium milk in it like coffee for an example. If you still don’t want to eat or drink anything in the early morning (There are few people I know who will feel nauseous and soon vomit just because they’re trying to have breakfast), try taking supplements instead. Okay breakfast skipper, let’s try our best to start taking breakfast. =]

1 response(s):

whibley said...

Yeah. It's really important to eat breakfast but people seems to not care about it. =]